Re: SIGNA seed exchange

 My copy of SIGNA came this week == first one in a looooon time, and now
I recognize many of the cultivars mentioned.  I'm totally thrilled by
this publication, it is informative, well researched, and includes types of
iris I can't possibly hope to grow here in WNY.

At the top of the list of "plants I can't grow" is Moraea aristita, a
little plant that is not an iris, but is cute!!  Grows from a corm, doesn't tolerate temperatures below 25F. But could be grown in a pot. "Flowers 1 1/2 to 2 Inches, broad count as white in the garden and have striking peacock blue or
turquoise basel spots. Floral parts are tinted with violet on the underside
and that color occasionally bleeds through to the upper surface, the outer
floral parts correspoinding to the "falls" of an iris are widely flaring to nearly horizontal. Only on closser inspection are the upright "standards" seen as
small pointed petals with a central cusp or arists (a bristle- from whihc
 the species derived its name) flanked by two shorter, rounded lateral lobes"

 And this reports the M.A.S.S. Medley and the M.A.S.S. Medley Awards with
Shaefer/Sacks sweeping the McEwen Cup for Best Siberian Seedling(s)

I feel fortunate to have seen slides of these seedlings at REgion 2's Fall
meeting a few weeks ago.

SIGNA announced a special discount for a book edited by The Species Group of
the British Iris Society, A GUIDE TO SPECIES IRISES, for $39.96 + tax and shipping, from Cambridge university Press, 1-800-7423.  Mention folder number
MD6PLNT to receive the special discounted price.  Catalogue number of
the book is 440742.  These orders must be charged on a major credit card.

I'm doing my Xmas shopping, see!!

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY where the sun is out and the frost is heavy
but there's NO SNOW!!