Re: New member

<< About one third of the varieties
 we have are pre-1960, >> And discuss possiblity of selling in US.

Graham, Welcome!  Many, many times I have sought to obtain irises from
England only to fail to find someone who would ship to US.  In the 1980's
this was not a problem until your Government started charging so much for
inspection. (Your govenment should promote overseas trade, not price it out
of existence! I realize that getting any government to be rational, even the
awesome British government, is a great challenge, to say the least.) In US
each state is different, but in Virginia all inspections of gardens and for
photosanitary certificates are FREE...because the Commonweath of Virginia
wishes to promote sales of its products.)

I know quite a number of British Iris Society members who breed and grow
irises.  Most of them get almost no distribution in the US because they
simply cannot be obtained.  Sutton's Green Thumber Nursery in California has
been handling a few British imports, but only a handful, and none of the
dwarfs and intermediates to my knowledge.  Nora Scopes has several cultivars
I would love to get.

I write the International News column in the American Iris Society Bulletin,
and if you do decide to ship to North America, I will write up that
information for that column so other AIS members can learn about your firm
and catalogue. Of course, you will have to send me the details.

This was my last year of putting out a price list...my nursery is The Iris
Pond, and I sold quite a few irises to European customers, and especially in
England.  I specialized in antique irises, rebloomers, Siberians and
Japanese, and a number of my customers in France and Belgium were retail
nurseries.  When I started selling irises I did it for pleasure, but over
time, no matter how many times I would raise prices to discourage sales, the
business just kept getting bigger...I personally think you could do a
reasonable business in North America. There is a market in the US for
historic irises....and competition is very light.    I hope you will decide
to market in the U.S.  Cheers, Clarence Mahan in Virginia