IRIS-L digest 337

Linda Mann asked:

 >>  Can you tell us a little more about the 10 ratings and the scale?  Are
 >> they different ratings for different kinds of fragrances?  How recent
 >> are introductions that are included?

Sorry, Linda, I didn't have the report in my hands when I wrote that last
message, so went into about as much detail as I could from memory.

Oh, well, let me try.  I don't believe there were many at all after the early
'80s, and not a very high proportion of historic (pre-1965) ones, either, so
the main coverage is the era in between there.  There were descriptive notes
like 'citrusy' or 'vanilla' for some cultivars, if robin raters used them, and
the number rating scale takes into account sweet vs. spicy, both assumed to be
pleasant (there were separate numbers for grades of unpleasantness).  The
quantity of ratings received I assumed was just based on how many robin members
volunteered a rating -- some only have one, others many.

And that's really, really all I remember.  Oh, wait -- the binder cover is
blue <BG>!

  Nell Lancaster, Lexington, VA, USA     75500.2521@compuserve.com