Re: Crinum vs Nerine

Hello -- Thanks for your response -- This was composed in my little window
and sometimes a line gets messed up -- ::
Did you find out if your bulb is a Crinum or Nerine?  If not I can help
as I grow both of these and there is a big difference.  Crinums are
large plants and the bulb can get to the size of a basketball (No
kidding!).  They have straplike leaves that can grow to 5 feet in

---------> they are definitely not Crinum!! The bulbs are never going to be
basketball size, I picked off some new bulb increases.

These are probably Nerines Your description is close to them.
They look very like paperwhites of narcissi right now.
*****

 Nerines are small bulbs somewhat like paperwhites or narcissi.  Depending on what variety you
have the foilage could be evergreen.  The foilage is straplike, narrow
and only about 8 to 12 inches long. I grow these outside also, but these
are not doing so well. They seem to be just hanging on, so I will
probably move them in the spring.  Had them 3 years and they only
bloomed the first year after planting.
------> I got these at the Botanical Gardens on a day when we could take
cuttings or increases of any plant in the place (!!) .  The plant promptly
wilted, turned brown, died back, just like amaryllis. And I'm wondering
if they will behave the same.  My amaryllis are resting now, and I have
planted the (now I'll call it) Nerine and am waiting to see if they
will re-grow.  Hum... the foliage could be evergreen???? Should they not
be allowed to die back, then??  They certainly would not grow outside
here.

What are the water requirements?? How about fertilizer??  How about the
comparison with Amaryllis?? any accuracy there? McClure & Z-- says
"Excellent in outdoor gardens in Zones 8 to 10 where it blooms similar to
Amaryllis and Lycoris"--they like to be crowded.

My amaryllis will be up and running just after Xmas when I will really
need the blooms.  Maybe these will come on around then, also.

Thanks for your information.  I'd love a Crinum one day... or an elusive
yellow Cliva -- where do you generally get your bulbs??
I've a huge price list from Cascade Bulbs and Seeds that I can't lay my
fingers on at the moment...

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY