Re: Re Queen off Hearts iris

Bruce Richardson wrote
>  So if you want to grow this iris the key to success is to avoid freezing
>of the rhizomes in winter - I cover in the greenhouse with a foot of dry
>leaves and the ground never freezes.

Interesting - my little patch of QUEEN OF HEARTS has been growing under 2 ft
of fescue, which also must provide considerable protection in the winter.  It
will be interesting  to see how the ones I put out in the cultivated garden
do over the winter.  It can get very cold here occasionally (record is minus
25 F) but most years the ground doesn't stay frozen for more than a few weeks
at a time, and occasionally doesn't freeze at all.