Re: Siberians and McEwen's book

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: Siberians and McEwen's book
  • From: Jim Wilson <WilsonJH@muohio.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 13:31:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Date-warning: Date header was inserted by po.muohio.edu

Donald Mosser writes:
>One question for you Jim:  I noticed that you have new pictures of Siberians
>on your web page and if I'm not mistaken, you moved one of my favorites,
>that you previously had pictured on your Siberian picture page, to your
>beginning home page.  What is this gorgeous cover iris (The blue one at the
>top of your home page) and is it really that blue with near black on the
>falls or is this a trick of the lighting and the camera or perhaps a lens
>filter?  I thought that I had asked you about this once before through
>private e-mail and I recall that you responded, but I seem to have
>unintentionally deleted your response.
**
The photograph is Marty Schafer's, and so he would have to answer
questions about the conditions under which it was taken.  I had originally
interpreted his labels to match that slide with the name CARMEN JEANNE,
Cal Helsley's introduction.  However, at the convention, the plant in Jan
and Marty's garden labeled CARMEN JEANNE had rounder flowers and
a much smaller difference in color value between stylearms and falls,
a good medium blue all across the flower.  I also noticed another Siberian
at the convention with flower form like this one's with the light blue/darker
blue (although not all the way to navy blue) contrast, a McEwen numbered
seedling.  So, I am wondering if somewhere along the line Marty or I
got our labels mismatched.  In any case, I was the high bidder on
the CARMEN JEANNE at the auction, and I hope to some day put my own
picture of it out there.  (I like this picture too, and so I was hoping
to get away with showing it and not putting a name on it, but you flushed
me out!)                   --Jim

__
Jim Wilson, Oxford, OH, USDA Zone 6a, AIS garden judge, Region 6
growing Siberians, medians, TBs, JIs, and a few SPU and species
wilsonjh@muohio.edu     http://www.muohio.edu/~wilsonjh