Re: Crinum vs Nerine

SCHAFFCM@SNYBUFAA.CS.SNYBUF.EDU wrote:

> I had the catalogue out because I have a bulb that is either a Crinum, or
> a Nerine -- excellent catalogue.

Carolyn,

Did you find out if your bulb is a Crinum or Nerine?  If not I can help
as I grow both of these and there is a big difference.  Crinums are
large plants and the bulb can get to the size of a basketball (No
kidding!).  They have straplike leaves that can grow to 5 feet in
length.  usually 2 to 3 inches wide.  I have several varieties and grow
them outside here. One I purchased last year ELLEN BOSAQUANT is somewhat
tender even here. Temps went down to 31 the other day and most of its
foilage turned to mush.  The others are obviously more hardy and do not
seem to be affected.  Crinums do very well here as long as I give them a
steady diet of water which they seem to love.  Nerines are small bulbs
somewhat like paperwhites or narcissi.  Depending on what variety you
have the foilage could be evergreen.  The foilage is straplike, narrow
and only about 8 to 12 inches long. I grow these outside also, but these
are not doing so well. They seem to be just hanging on, so I will
probably move them in the spring.  Had them 3 years and they only
bloomed the first year after planting.

I have ordered off and on from Mcclure @ Zimmerman and find they have a
varied collection of plants and bulbs.  As a matter of fact I ordered
their catalog a month ago and have yet to receive it.  Guess I better
call.

Rick Tasco
Central California-- 4 out of the last five nights under freezing!
Zone 8.5