Re: Species irises

dear Ian:

No need to apologize.  I read most messages with interest,,and find it
broadening. If one is devoted to a certain iris interest, one will just as
surely be a little less interested in some other interest. I grew daylily
seed just once. Loved the results, but knew I had to cut the line somewhere,
and let them all go. I have about 6 clumps of daylilies, and do no
hybridizing with them.  I started a collection of iris species while I was
still in Listowel. Dad warned me that a man was coming to do something  to
the cesspool. I went to the man's house and talked to him, and told him of my
collection. When I returned from work the next day, he had carefully saved
all the signs, but the entire collection was somewhere down two or three
 below the surface.  Somehow, that put an end to my enthousiasm for species,
- though I know it should not have done so.  Today I came home to find that
the driver of a car bringing a student to piano lesson, - or taking them
away,  drove into my new median iris bed out front!! What can one do but grin
and bear it!  Lloyd Zurbrigg, Durham, NC