Greetings from Iris Heaven Southern California

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Greetings from Iris Heaven Southern California
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 1996 13:04:28 -0800

Barb Rigby wrote:
> Linda you wrote:
> >I started thinking of California as iris heaven when I got a notecard from
> >the late Jim McWhirter one March with iris on the outside and a happy note
> >about all the beautiful spring iris bloom he was enjoying!  And we have
> >people on this list talking about year round iris bloom in southern
> >California!
> >
> Remember that not everywhere in California is like Southern California.  If
> you live in Northern California (i.e. Redding) you get rain, snow and the
> temp has been known to drop down to 18 degrees.

Also remember that even the heaven of southern California has its

TBs and their close kin, spurias, Louisianas, arilbreds and many arils
do well here, but dwarf beardeds, Siberians, Japanese, and even PCNs
don't (although just a few miles away some of them do).

I do have a couple of TB stalks coming up now, and have almost no chance
of losing them to frost, but there is a lot of iris beauty not available
to me.

Gerry in semi-arid desert Los Angeles