Fragrant iris listings

Hi all,

Just three more weeks of diminishing light, and then we're on our way toward
spring again.

I begin every winter with fine intentions: surely this will be the year I
experience the adventure, thrill, and the virtuous glow of thrift that comes
from growing perennials from seed!  By February, though, I've usually pigged
out on plant orders and abandon the seed-starting project before it begins. So,
many thanks to all who've contributed to the recent discussions of species iris
here; they might just keep the flame burning brightly enough to last me through
to sowing time.  It's gotten me to join SIGNA for '97, which is a start. And
I've saved the posts where I can easily re-read them whenever a new catalog
begins to seduce with its expensive containers of (relatively) instant

Speaking of winter reading: Larry Doucette was kind enough to send along an
invaluable document that I'd like to share with anyone on the list who's
particularly interested in fragrant iris.  It's a large report that Libby Cross
compiled a few years ago from the Fragrance Robin -- 80 pages or so of
fragrance ratings for many hundreds of (mostly bearded) iris.  Hard to imagine
how many hours of work it represents.  I took lots of notes, adding many
cultivars to my wishlist and 'must see/sniff in a garden' folder.

Please email me off-list about this. It's too many pages to photocopy, so if a
waiting list develops, I'll keep track and try to see that the report gets
around to all interested parties eventually.

Is anyone on the list in possession of Louise Smith's fragrance report? Since
it was a personal rather than AIS publication, I'm assuming it's become
unavailable since her death this summer (by which point I had gotten as far as
addressing an envelope, but not as far as writing a check and sending off the

    Nell Lancaster, Lexington, Virginia  75500.2521@compuserve.com
    USDA zone 6 (-10F to 0 winter low), 39" annual rainfall
    First frost Sept. 25-Oct. 15   Last frost April 20-May 10