Re: Variety, not Homogeneity, is the Spice of Life

  • To: iris-l@rt66.com
  • Subject: Re: Variety, not Homogeneity, is the Spice of Life
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 1996 18:51:12 -0700

Dennis Stoneburner wrote:

> Donald Mosser wrote:
> >
> > I'm totally fascinated by the expectation that all new iris introductions
> > are expected to be fully tested and bare the stamp of approval from all
> > regions where it might be purchased and grown, prior to their introduction.
> > This sounds like U.S. government mentality - "make it safe and reliable
> > enough for everyone to grow" or "an iris in every pot (or flat or 4-pack)"
> > (sorry for the political simile).  *********
> Then, are you saying to do away with the AIS award system?  Most of the
> irises purchased are be regular gardeners, not AIS members. These people
> look to the catalogs who sell them as being the best of the best.  If AIS
> gives awards to poor irises, what are we saying to the general public?
> If we are to succeed, we need to change the way this whole process is
> done, so what goes to the public is the best...or at least better than it
> is now!

I agree that AIS needs to revamp the way they make their awards. They
should give awards to only the absolutely best, but they are not the
guardians of every iris grower in the world.

Would seem to me that the sellers/growers are the ones who should be
most interested in this. If they want the gardeners to come back to them
one year after the next to buy more irises, they should want to take the
steps necessary to ensure that the buyers were most successful with what
they do buy, and give them the information they need to know to choose
the best varieties for their locale. Obviously they haven't tripped to
that idea yet.

By the same token, when I order other types of plants, I buy what will
grow in my area. I don't order eastern liliac expecting it to bloom
here. If I don't know, I ask.

Maybe the role of AIS is to set a standard for description of irises,
and to include in that a reference to its environmental requirements and
flexibility.
---
On 1 Dec  in -

1641, Mass becomes first colony to give statutory recognition to
slavery.
1783, Charles & M.N. Roberts ascended 2,000' in the first voyage via a
hydrogen balloon.
1878, The first telephone was installed in the White House.
1919, Lady Astor was sworn in as the first female member of the British
Parliament.
1922, First skywriting over the US - "Hello U.S.A." - by Capt. Turner,
RAF.
1959, first color photograph of Earth is received from outer space.

Born on Vernon and Sonja birthday  (Nov 25th) in :

1846 - Carry (Amelia) Nation , American temperance advocate famous for
using a hatchet to demolish barrooms. The scourge of barkeepers and
drinkers in Kansas and elsewhere, she received little support from the
national or world temperance movements.

1783 - Claude-Louis Mathieu , French astronomer and mathematician who
worked particularly on the determination of the distances of the stars.

Happy belated birthdays both, my apologies for missing them

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.