Germination

Kathy

I wrote a short article for our local newsletter on germination of iris
seeds and cc-ed it to the iris-l.  It should be in the archives.  Since
that time, I have modified my process a little in that I do not cut each
seed.  I just put them in small plastic pots with lids and about a third
of sand, peat, and soil + a third of a cup of water, and then wait.
Germination is excellent.  Sometimes I put the pots in the outside
garage and leave all winter, others I keep inside.  Over about a year,
almost all germinate.  If I lose any it is in the seedling stage and
seems to be related to different water requirements.  I lost all four of
my cycloglossa this spring, the one species that I really wanted to
establish in 1997! Right at the end of this season, about October 1, I
had quite a burst of germination from innominata, foetidissima, fulva
and japonica.  These seedlings will stay indoors as it is far too cold
outside now.  The japonica looks sickly and I lost all my japonica
plants this year - another one that I really want!  I.foetidissima and
fulva are sprouting everywhere and growing like weeds.  These seedlings
are already up to about 4 inches.

I should note that I rarely try TB, etc. but the few that I have tried
did well under this regime.

Ian, in Ottawa where we still have a mildly cold weather, down to -10C,
and a slight snow cover, 6 inches.