  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SDB: LITTLE SHOWOFF
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 19:25:54 -0700 (MST)

> Also, it may grow vigorously in Kentucky, but for us here it has always
> bloomed on most of its' increases.  It increases well, but most of the
> increases bloom as soon as they are large enough.
> Regional differences I guess, maybe Little Showoff (bred in Ohio)
> performs better in the colder climates of the country rather than in our
> relatively milder climate.
> Rick Tasco
> Superstition Iris Gardens
> Central California Sierra Nevada foothills--Zone 8--High 57 and low 37,
> bright and sunny today

     It sounds like it does best in a climate where the rebloom season ends
with a big freeze in November.  Also, Kentucky is much wetter than
California, especially during the spring and summer.  I think that this
leads to a higher increase rate for this plant.  You are correct about it
being from Ohio.  Kentucky is more like the climate in which it was
     It is probably a good thing I didn't bring it to Florida.  It most
likely would have bloomed itself to death:  literally.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, FL.