Re: I.unguicularis

ECPep@aol.com wrote:
 Does that unguicularis in your plant room (now blooming) live in a
> pot permanently?
> I am thinking of trying this as a"conservatory" plant.

Unguicularis takes to potted culture very well.  It will soon fill a pot
rather quickly(they travel somewhat, just like the beardeds) and it is
not fussy about soil.  I use a mixture of loamy soil(70), peat moss(20)
and perlite(10).  I have also used ordinary packaged potting soil.  I've
had many pots blooming in the house over the winter with their heavenly
scent of hyacinths.  They will benefit by a vacation outside during the

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8