Re: OT:Books--a plug for Timber Press

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT:Books--a plug for Timber Press
  • From: Bill Shear <bills@tiger.hsc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 12:40:29 -0700 (MST)

Timber Press has a number of fine books (I just spent over $200 with them)
but there is one thing to be aware of--many of their books are not of US
origin and are written for gardeners in Britain, Germany, Australia or New
Zealand.

The Glasgow iris book (New Zealand), for example, makes no mention anywhere
of iris borer or fungal leaf spot, two major problems here in the US.
Since I haven't yet seen the Gardener's Guide book on iris, nor Grosvenor's
book, I can't comment on their content vis a vis the US gardener.  Perhaps
someone else on the list can address this.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943