Re: CULT:how long out of the ground?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT:how long out of the ground?
  • From: art bern <art@gv.net>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 15:34:28 -0700 (MST)

grw1@mindspring.com wrote:

> i have been given quite a few iris, which i have been in the process of
> planting in a new bed.  i have about 90% in the ground, but i have run out
> of space.  would it be better to pot the rest up and bring them inside or in
> the garage, then planting them in the ground come spring, or better to put
> them in a temporary spot, and then move them when i finish making a new bed
> sometime during the winter.  although they appear fine, i am not sure how
> long i can leave them out the ground safely, i don't want to risk losing a
> single one!
>
> i am in zone 7b.
>
> gena

I gave my son several irises many years ago and he just threw them on
the north side of his garage and forgot them. Two years later he planted
them and they lived. I don't know how many died and wouldn't recommend
that however. Being you don't want to lose them, I would recommend you
pot them and then transplant them when you have the new beds ready. You
should be able to leave the pots outdoors unless they forcast a hard
freeze which is highly unlikely in your zone. Depending on when you get
another bed ready, you could leave the rhizomes in a dry place and not
pot them at all.

Art Bern    art@gv.net
Grass Valley, CA   zone 6/7