HYB: broken stalk with seed pod

Hi again all,
               yesterday, due to circumstances beyond my control, a stalk
bearing a large and healthy seed pod was broken.  With the other casualty
this season, I had no choice but to try the potato method, since there was
no stem left worth speaking off.  But with this one, there is 7 inches of
stalk below the pod, so I'm looking for suggestions as to the best way to
save it.  The cross was done on the 24th of October.

These are the options I have thought of:

place the stalk in water
      "       "            with sugar or florist's preservative added.
place the stalk in a hydroponics solution
"plant" the stalk in a potato
remove the pod from the stalk, and plant the pod in the potato

Presumably with the liquid options, I should trim the stalk slightly and
change the water or solution at regular intervals, so it doesn't rot.

So, does anyone have any experience with these, or any suggestions to make?

Thanks in advance,
Ann Pearce (Adelaide, South Australia)