Re: OT:Books--a plug for Timber Press

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT:Books--a plug for Timber Press
  • From: John Montgomery <monashee@junction.net>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 22:41:03 -0700 (MST)

At 07:27 AM 97-12-03 -0700, Anner wrote:
>As one who loves bookstores, all kinds of bookstores, including highly
>specialized ones, loves browsing in them, having conversations with book
>lovers there, loves holding and dipping into books before I buy, loves
>discovering books I would never have found had the store not stocked them, I
>sincerely hope you are wrong.
Back in the days when we were more footloose than we now are, we had two
criteria we used in selecting a place to live. There should be a good book
store and a REAL hardware store in the community. Unfortunately, now that
we are well rooted in this place, we have the hardware store but not the
book store, and we miss it dearly. Besides the advantage of browsing
through the books or going down to the basement of the hardware store and
finding stuff in bins or being able to get a part for a 35 year old
toaster, there is the good feeling when you are greeted by name and often
being told they have something new that they know will be of interest to you.

It may seem odd coming from someone who has just sold a mail order plant
business, but I have always felt that we should in so far as possible, buy
from local merchants. In many ways it is the local, independent businesses
which make a community out of a collection of houses and streets, and make
my town different from your town. When all we have are the big chains and a
couple of internet behemoths, I think we will all be poorer for it. I must
have a look at Clare's secret source though.

Finally, the good mail order nurseries make you feel that they live just
down the road from you so do feel free to patronize them.

John Montgomery
Vernon  BC