Re: HYB: broken stalk with seed pod
- To: Multiple recipients of list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: HYB: broken stalk with seed pod
- From: Linda Mann <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 17:23:01 -0700 (MST)
Ann Pierce wrote:
> >So, does anyone have any experience with these, or any suggestions to make?
Ann - check the archives for several posts about this last summer. I
tried both, but only tried the potato with a pod that had broken off
right at the base. It rotted immediately and didn't mature seeds (not a
fair test of Lloyd's technique). The others I put in a mixture of
Sprite, small amount of Clorox (I think we finally decided it should be
less than 10% - not too sure about that though), and water, and recut
the stalks every day or so. Some of them ripened normally, but most
eventually rotted. I just counted and planted seeds from most of the
crosses I did this summer and had noted on the tag when each rotted (or
at least the sequence in which they rotted). Seeds from the earlier
ones are tiny little things, but the later ones, in spite of the rotted
pod, look normal. We'll see. I planted all of them, including the
teensy can't be alive ones.
Linda Mann firstname.lastname@example.org east Tennessee USA
cold and wind are back - lows may hit the teens again.
I may have to give back my title as rot queen - these plants don't have
soft rot, they have frozen leaf decomposition rot.