Re: Tall ones, for Christy

 Christy asked:

 <<  I've been trying to come up with a short list of VERY tall =
  TBs.......color isn't really important, nor is form. In fact, I'd prefer
=
  something older.

  Any suggestions?>>

Among the TB cultivars that have given me the tallest stalks have been
     LADY MADONNA (Schreiners, 1984)  57"   (registration ht: 43")
     CAPE IVORY (Innes, 1969)  52"   (registration ht: 38")
     VICTORIA FALLS (Schreiners, 1977)  49"   (registration ht: 40") - As
with the Tower of Pisa, this is not necessarily the height measured
perpendicular to the ground. ((-:

(I do not wish to give the impression that this is the Land of the Iris
Giants - more cultivars bloom below registration height here than above,
which only underlines the fact that these three cultivars have exhibited a
capacity for achieving altitude).

If you are interested in the really old ones, J. Marion Shull rated his
introduction, TROPIC SEAS (1924) at 50" and noted that stalks of
CONQUISTADOR (Mohr, 1923) reached a height of 5 feet (in California).
Perhaps Anner Whitehead as HIPS Commercial Source Chairperson would know if
they are still available.

cwalters@digitalpla.net