Re: OT:Frivolity

Griff wrote:
>Well, friends, what is going on? Seven (count them) 7! messages on
>Iris-L tonight! And it's neither Thanksgiving nor Christmas. In the face
>of such an iris drought, I shamelessly offer the following OT subject,
<snip>

Well....if you're after something a little off-topic....try this.  It may
not be about irises, but it does say something about e-mail lists.

Ann

         ~~~  The "Dark Side" of Email Groups  ~~~

Q: How many internet mail list subscribers does it take to change
   a light bulb?
A: 1,392:
   1 to change the light bulb and to post to the mail list that the
     light bulb has been changed...
  14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how
     the light bulb could have been changed differently,
   4 to complain that they were happy with the old one,
   7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
  27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing
     light bulbs,
  53 to flame the spell checkers,
 156 to write to the list administrator complaining about the light
     bulb discussion and its inappropriateness to this mail list,
  41 to correct spelling in the spelling/grammar flames,
 109 to post that this list is not about light bulbs and to please
     take this email exchange to alt.lite.bulb,
 203 to demand that cross posting to alt.grammar, alt.spelling and
     alt.punctuation about changing light bulbs be stopped,
 111 to defend the posting to this list saying that we all use light
     bulbs and therefore the posts **are** relevant to this mail
     list,
 306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior,
     where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work
     best for this technique, and what brands are faulty,
  27 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light
     bulbs,
  14 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly, and to post
     corrected URLs,
  12 to flame the AOL users for violating netiqutte and blame them
     for starting this whole thing,
   3 to post about links they found from the URLs that "are
     relevant to this list, which makes light bulbs relevant to this
     list,"
  45 posts about whether or not AOL should even be allowed to exist,
  33 to concatenate all posts to date, then quote them including
     all headers and footers, and then add "Me Too,"
  12 to post to the list that they are unsubscribing because they
     cannot handle the light bulb controversy,
  19 to quote the "Me Too's" to say, "Me Three,"
   4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ,
   1 to propose new alt.change.lite.bulb newsgroup,
  47 to say this is just what alt.physic.cold_fusion was meant for,
     leave it here, and
 143 votes for alt.lite.bulb.