HIST: CAT: Tall ones, and Shull

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: HIST: CAT: Tall ones, and Shull
  • From: Henryanner <Henryanner@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 10:30:33 -0700 (MST)

Jeff noted:

<<  If you are interested in the really old ones, J. Marion Shull rated his
 introduction, TROPIC SEAS (1924) at 50" and noted that stalks of
 CONQUISTADOR (Mohr, 1923) reached a height of 5 feet (in California).
 Perhaps Anner Whitehead as HIPS Commercial Source Chairperson would know if
 they are still available. >>

Hummm, I hear and obey, O master.

The last update of the HIPS DataBank shows no one who has reported growing
TROPIC SEAS, which means that it may or may not be out there, but we don't
know of it at this time. Probably somewhere in my neighborhood. Now,
CONQUISTADOR was listed in Rick Tasco's catalog last year: Superstition
Gardens, 2536 Old Highway, Cathey's Valley, CA, 95306. Catalog, containing a
nice selection of historics, is $1.50.

Another very good source for historics is Argyle Acres, from whom many of the
tall ones I mentioned in my post are available. Joe and Donna Spears--new
members of the list--are the owners. 910 Pioner Circle East, Argyle TX
76226-6714. Catalog for two first class stamps, request the extra historic
list.

The book Jeff was referring to by J. Marion Shull is RAINBOW FRAGMENTS,
published in 1931 by Doubleday, Doran, and Company. It is a valuable reference
for irises of the early period. The book is not too rare, but if you find a
copy don't pay top dollar if the watercolor illustrations by Mr. Schull have
been removed, as they often are. Mr. Shull was, in the words of Clarence Mahan
in his appreciative article in the AIS Bulletin for July, 1994, (#294) an
"Artist, Botanist, Iris Breeder, Author", and a major supporter or the AIS in
its formative years. His best known iris, MORNING SPLENDOUR, is available from
Superstition, and his lovely JULIA MARLOW from Argyle. Kindly tell them HIPS
sent you.

Anner M. Whitehead
Commercial Source Chairman
Historic Iris Preservation Society, AIS