OT: Book "Genetics Is Easy"

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT: Book "Genetics Is Easy"
  • From: Kathy Haggstrom <hagg@alaska.net>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 13:45:09 -0700 (MST)

J.G. Crump,
Received msg frm bookstore re: finding copy of "Genetics is Easy". What
they came up with was a 1st edition, published 1947. I'm reluctant to
pick that one up as I don't think it will have the depth/complexity or
additional knowledge acquired in the interim btwn 1st & 4th edition. I
decided to look on Internet after seeing comments on Iris-L regarding
book searches. I again came up with 1st edition (perhaps they are all
dueling for the same book). Your 4th edition is a revised version is it
not? And how many pgs (if that will make any difference-it can take just
as many words to write little, which I find out as I try to compose
e-mail)? The Spruce Hen turned out better than I made it sound - baked
in a gravy casserole with wine,onion & mushroom. You said there must be
a hunter in the family. Hah, I don't know if that is correct term. They
are too easy to hunt - they just freeze on tree branches with their
necks extended like swans, & think we don't see them. Clever little
birds. Actually, to be honest, I don't hunt them much because I know I
don't have to. I'm forced to put a tall chicken wire fence around my
puny apple (orchard?) or the moose ravage them & each fall when the
birds start coming to our beach to get gravel for their gizzards for the
winter, they occasionally fly into the orchard fence & break their
necks. Then it is a matter of going out each day & looking on the ground
for the bird harvest. I get 5-7 birds each fall that way. Not exactly
hunting is it? More like gathering.
I read the e-mail updates each day frm people who have iris blooming in
their gardens, & I am so envious. I'm reduced to looking at pictures I
took of my last yr blooms. About now, they start looking like junk,
especially when I compare them to pix I see on the corkboard & in
publications. Will mine ever look like anything but sled dogs compared
to all these purebreds I see? I had earlier compared mine to cow ponies,
but of course they are much more like sled dogs as they don't mind the
snow.<-: Oh yes, the oddest thing happened yesterday, tho it was
non-iris.(Sorry) We had an earthquake yesterday morning, which happened
at precisely the time I was landing our plane. I thought I had made just
a rougher than usual landing, which happens on skiis, but I couldn't
account for the sideways motion. I thought I had experienced a bout of
vertigo. Was so relieved to find out it wasn't me. The earthquake wasn't
bad at all, just 5.1, but it produced a kind of sideways jolt, like a
lousy landing. And if you are the type to pose riddles in foreign
countries, I believe we will all have to have a plane standing by for
Kathy Haggstrom