Re: OT: Book "Genetics Is Easy"

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Book "Genetics Is Easy"
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 17:54:55 -0700 (MST)

Kathy Haggstrom wrote:

> J.G. Crump,
> Received msg frm bookstore re: finding copy of "Genetics is Easy". What
> they came up with was a 1st edition, published 1947. I'm reluctant to
> pick that one up as I don't think it will have the depth/complexity or
> additional knowledge acquired in the interim btwn 1st & 4th edition.. . .

Kathy -- Frankly, I doubt that a heck of a lot of new knowledge of basic
genetics was added between 1947 and 1967, so would encourage you to pick
up your bookseller's 1947 edition (while dickering with him/her for a
better price since the edition is OBVIOUSLY OUTDATED).

   The Spruce Hen turned out better than I made it sound - baked
> in a gravy casserole with wine,onion & mushroom. . .  . . .

I have often said that the greatest things that God made, besides
people, are pigs and onions --- and if I have to add a third, it would
be mushrooms. I am salivating at the thought of your spruce hen. Twice,
during the past two weeks, I have had delicious mushrooms. First, at
Ireland's Four Provinces, in Falls Church, VA, where the offering was
"An Mushroom Mor" (the great mushroom) -- a Portabello (or is it
Portobella) mushroom with mashed potatoes and chives; and next, baked
stuffed mushrooms for brunch with old friends in Indiana on the occasion
of my favorite niece's wedding. Ahhh, what gustatorial delights!

 We had an earthquake yesterday morning, which happened
> at precisely the time I was landing our plane. . . .

So, it is you who is responsible for global wobbling! (Al Gore, take
note.)

And if you are the type to pose riddles in foreign
> countries, I believe we will all have to have a plane standing by for
> you.

Most interesting, Kathy. When I was on assignment in Istanbul in the
1950's, I picked up a saying which obviously dates from the time when
the Turks were horse nomads, "He who tells the truth must keep one foot
in the stirrup." It has stood me in good stead during a career as a
Federal bureaucrat.

jgcrump@erols.com