SHOW: taller than R&I (was Tall ones, for Christy)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: SHOW: taller than R&I (was Tall ones, for Christy)
  • From: storey@aristotle.net (J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey)
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 19:03:56 -0700 (MST)

Jeff mentions several cultivars he's had bloom taller than registration height.
>Among the TB cultivars that have given me the tallest stalks have been
>     LADY MADONNA (Schreiners, 1984)  57"   (registration ht: 43")
>     CAPE IVORY (Innes, 1969)  52"   (registration ht: 38")
>     VICTORIA FALLS (Schreiners, 1977)  49"   (registration ht: 40")

Here's my big duh for the night: If you have a cultivar bloom way over
registration height and you want to take it to the show because in all
other respects it's an outstanding stalk, do you trim the stalk down to
registered height, or is excess tallness considered a virtue? If not, why
not?

celia
storey@aristotle.net
Little Rock