Re: SHOW: taller than R&I (was Tall ones, for Christy)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SHOW: taller than R&I (was Tall ones, for Christy)
  • From: Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan <randrcv@sierratel.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 20:18:52 -0700 (MST)

J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey wrote:

> Here's my big duh for the night: If you have a cultivar bloom way over
> registration height and you want to take it to the show because in all
> other respects it's an outstanding stalk, do you trim the stalk down to
> registered height, or is excess tallness considered a virtue? If not, why
> not?

Celia,

Proportion is the Key!

Page C-21 of the Judges Handbook- "Stalk Height.  It is generally
recommended that a stalk be exhibited at an appropriate height that is
proportional.  Indeed proportion is an individual perception, and the
suggestion here is only to avoid extremes.  Stalks can behave
unpredictably in strange weather or differing climates, so very few
points can be subtracted under such circumstances."

There has been much talk about tall varieties for the benefit of
Christy. (Christy are you listening?). It has been my experience that
certain varieties will grow taller in different parts of the country,
especially those that get plenty of rainfall.  In the East, for
instance, I have seen many varieties grow taller by as much as 6 to 8
inches.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California