Re: Iris Question - What should I do

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Question - What should I do
  • From: Pre-installed User <keisling@swbell.net>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 15:10:34 -0700 (MST)

Robert R. & Hettie Ann Leary wrote:

> I 'salvaged' several bearded irises yesterday that had been overgrown by
> weeds and grasses.
>
> It was about 40 degrees, ground frozen only about an inch (yesterday).
> I do not know what I should do to keep them.  Should I replant them
> immediately or cover with dirt and keep in a cool place??  Oh, I leave
> in the Kansas City Metropolitan area??
>
> Thank you.

There are at least 2 things you can do -- #1, you can pot them and put
them in cold frames (or in a sheltered area == we use children's
swimming pools with holes in the bottom) and mulch them until spring.

Second -- If you dug them up in a clump and did not separate them, you
can put them back in the ground and mulch them well.  Remember, whenever
you much you must remove it after the last hard freeze in the spring.

We are also in the Kansas City metro area -- KC has an iris society --
the Greater Kansas City Iris Society - you should think about becoming a
member; we had our holiday party today -- next regular meeting is March
10 at Loose Park Garden Center at 7 p.m.  We will also be celebrating
our golden (50th) anniversary of our club's founding in February with a
dinner (details will be available in January).  Let us know if you'd
like more information.  Judy & Ray Keisling