REB - A belated rebloom report

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: REB - A belated rebloom report
  • From: John Montgomery <monashee@junction.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:07:08 -0700 (MST)

Rick Tasco, on Dec 1 presented a very impressive list of reblooming iris
and challenged the rest of us to see what we had.

Well my list is mighty short, but on Dec 1st we had nice blooms on CORN
HARVEST & AUTUMN APRICOT. One flower on ART SCHOOL ANGEL was very, very
close to opening, however, that night brought enough frost to melt it.
Since then we have had constant freezing weather and I can safely say the
97 season has ended.

Now, before anyone thinks of me as a reblooming guru, I must say that this
has been a very strange year in the Okanagan Valley. Winter was about
average for temperatures but with about twice the normal snowfall and it
lasted a month later than normal. Spring continued cool and slow to
develop. Summer never did arrive by our standards. On only two days did the
temperature go over 90F. By contrast, the autumn was relatively mild. Not
warm (in fact, cooler than normal by averages, but without any serious
frost until this past week). Grey and not quite freezing would characterize
Oct & Nov quite well. We will almost certainly set another precipitation
record (third year in succession) and the average high for the year will be
the lowest in the 19 years we have been here. More of a maritime regime
than our typical hot, dry summer with cold winters and fast-breaking
springtimes.

I have probably bored everyone except perhaps Mark Cook with this weather
report. Frankly, I would much prefer more summer heat even if late rebloom
was lost as a result.

We now have a few inches of snow on the ground and it looks like it will
stay so I am declaring it to be winter. Winter is one of my four favorite
seasons. It is not a trial to be endured but rather I enjoy it very much
(providing the snow is deep).

Stay warm

John Montgomery
monashee@junction.net