Re: OT-Help! - DOGS

> One of our dogs has suddenly started to eat the
>plants in the house.  The other night, it eat a fairly large hibiscus,
>three poinsettias, a small ficus, and a number of other plants.  It then
>sicked up the whole lot!  This activity included pulling the pots of the
>window sills, turning over the larger plant pots that stood on the
>floor, etc.  It looked like a war zone in the morning and now all plants
>are on tables, which means that there is no room for people to use the

	Ian - Poinsettias are toxic so they should always be kept out of
	reach. We have built high, wooden shelves for plants - we have
	nothing on the floor...mainly because of one of the cats and one
	of the male dogs who marks. You may have to keep the dog out of the
	plant rooms with a physical barrier.

	Even our Christmas tree will be in a corner with an x-pen
	around it....Ralph the cat climbs the tree and they all open the
	presents. :-(

>I appreciate that mineral deficiencies can occur, especially in winter,
>and so the dogs receive supplimental vitamin pills as well as their
>food.  The are also fed apple peal or core most days.

	Don't give your dog any rational excuses....he/she is a dog. He
	was making a "statement" in the only way dogs know how...probably
	sick of all the plants overtaking his territory or something.:-)

	Approach the dog-plant problem with ingenuity. Utilize anything that
	works to separate the dog from the plants. We can't have any chairs
	around any tables since our Cairn terrier uses them as a ladder. :-(

	Good luck and bad dog!

	Ellen (who has her share of bad doggy days)

 Ellen Gallagher
 USDA Zone 3 - NH,USA
"On the Internet no one               /  __/~|   /       |
 knows you're a dog"                =(  _____| (_________|