Re: OT-Help!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT-Help!
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@erols.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:08:34 -0700 (MST)

Ian E. & Shirley Efford wrote:
> I need the help of a gardener and a dog expert, I know that there is at
> least one on the list.  One of our dogs has suddenly started to eat the
> plants in the house.  The other night, it eat a fairly large hibiscus,
> three poinsettias, a small ficus, and a number of other plants.  It then
> sicked up the whole lot!  This activity included pulling the pots of the
> window sills, turning over the larger plant pots that stood on the
> floor, etc.  It looked like a war zone in the morning and now all plants
> are on tables, which means that there is no room for people to use the
> tables!
> I appreciate that mineral deficiencies can occur, especially in winter,
> and so the dogs receive supplimental vitamin pills as well as their
> food.  The are also fed apple peal or core most days.
> Any suggestions gratefully received.
> Ian, in Ottawa

Ian -- I'd check with the vet. Your dog obviously needs something that
it thinks the green plants will give it. Unfortunately, dogs will eat
things that are poisonous, and you're lucky if they only throw up and
survive. They will actually ingest things that are indigestible, leaving
you to help them get rid of them. I've been through this. I don't know
what greens are available outside your house at this time of year in
your northern clime, but dogs normally supplement whatever greens
deficiency they have by actually grazing on the lawn. Meantime, you
simply have to keep the potentially harmful green houseplants of its
reach. Good luck.