Re: OT-Help!

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:08:47 -0700 (MST), Ian E. & Shirley Efford wrote:

>I need the help of a gardener and a dog expert, I know that there is at
>least one on the list.  One of our dogs has suddenly started to eat the
>plants in the house.  The other night, it eat a fairly large hibiscus,
>three poinsettias, a small ficus, and a number of other plants.  It then
>sicked up the whole lot!  This activity included pulling the pots of the
>window sills, turning over the larger plant pots that stood on the
>floor, etc.  It looked like a war zone in the morning and now all plants
>are on tables, which means that there is no room for people to use the
>I appreciate that mineral deficiencies can occur, especially in winter,
>and so the dogs receive supplimental vitamin pills as well as their
>food.  The are also fed apple peal or core most days.
>Any suggestions gratefully received.
>Ian, in Ottawa

>From the other in my house who is fairly familiar with dogs:

Sounds like you have a puppy on your hands.  You are lucky he only got
sick after eating the pointsettias, as they can be very poisonous.  She
suggests crating the dog at night as it may make for a happier puppy and
happier humans.  Crating will keep him out of trouble while you sleep or
when you are not around.  (From me, we do crate our pups, and they do
not consider it a punishment, but rather something that they normally
do.  They are only crated when we are not home, as they do not get into
trouble at night.)

She also says it sounds like he may have been bored and having a good
old time while you slept.  She also suggests that you may like to get
him some more toys to play with (we do have a constant influx of new
toys for the three of ours).  You can get the soft fleecy kind and the
harder boney type toys.  Also be sure to play with him in the evening.
He will enjoy the attention, and it will also tire him out.

She doesn't think that the plant attack is indicative of anything
missing in his diet.  If it were, it would be a more constant attack on
the plants.

For aquariums, visit http://www.petsforum.com/was/
the Worcester Aquarium Society site.  Lots of links available.
For dogs, visit http://www.petsforum.com/ace/ to recieve
information about A.C.E. Agility Dog Club in Massachusetts.
Now in Virginia, Zone 6 or 7.