Re: SPEC-Iris lazica

Ian E. & Shirley Efford wrote:
> The Guide to Species Irises put lazica and ungicularis in different
> species.  To quote "This species [lazica] is easily separated from
> I.unguicularis by its flat, wider, more or less unribbed leaves and
> larger fiddle-shaped falls.  It also occupies a completely different
> ecological niche."  The niche referred to is one of a higher rainfall
> and lower winter temperatures than the Mediterranean climate of
> unguicularis.
> Ian, in Ottawa where we were down to -11C last night.

Is this a "done deal"?  I mean are they indeed classified as a separate
species.  If so it is a terrible injustice.  Grown side by side they are
so similar you would think they are the same from a distance.  The plant
habits and the flower are very similar.  Like I mentioned in a previous
posting the only slight differences are the larger size of Lazica's
flower and it's inablility to flower as freely.  Otherwise no

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California.....Last two nights at 31F...Goodbye rebloom...sigh
Zone 8