Re: OT-Help!

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: OT-Help!
  • From: daf10@cornell.edu (Dorothy A. Fingerhood)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 06:28:48 -0700 (MST)

Ian wrote:
  One of our dogs has suddenly started to eat the
>plants in the house.  The other night, it eat a fairly large hibiscus,
>three poinsettias, a small ficus, and a number of other plants.  It then
>sicked up the whole lot!  This activity included pulling the pots of the
>window sills, turning over the larger plant pots that stood on the
>floor, etc.

Ian, all of the replies look good to me, (not an expert, but a long-time dog
owner).  I would like to suggest another wrinkle, based on experience with
one dog, in particular, that I had.

I suggest that for some reason, the dog felt ill, and had something in its
digestive system that was causing it a problem.  They deal with that by
eating coarse grass, if available, to induce vomiting.  If grass is not
available, they look for a substitute.  My dog ate carpet fuzz,
sticks/leaves brought in on people's shoes, etc, if immediate access to
grass was denied.  He was literally frantic to ingest this stuff until he
vomited.

Perhaps your dog had an acute attack of indigestion and substituted plants
for IPECAC.  Is the dog  OK today?  I'd certainly check with a vet anyway,
but I wonder if this might not have been a one-time phenomena.

(I've always heard that poinsettias are poisonous--so this might be a good
one to keep permanently up and out of the way.)

Good luck,
Dorothy Fingerhood--Bonafide dog (and iris!) fan
(Newfield, NY)