Re: Poinsettias

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Poinsettias
  • From: "william b. cook" <billc@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 18:17:19 -0700 (MST)

> At 01:13 PM 97-12-10 -0700, Ellen Gallagher wrote:
> >
> >	Ian - Poinsettias are toxic so they should always be kept out of
> >	reach.

> Is this statement correct?
> I have always thought it was true but just recently, I heard a
> horticulturist say that Poinsettias are NOT poisonous.
>  Can it be that some species are toxic but not the ones we use at
Christmas?

> John Montgomery

John,
     I have heard it both ways about Poinsettias.  Until they are proven to
be "not toxic", I would assume that they are toxic.  It is better to be
safe than sorry.  Many plants are safe to touch and smell, but should not
be eaten.

Mark A. Cook     billc@atlantic.net         Dunellon, FL.