Re: SPEC-Iris lazica

Bill Shear wrote:

> Sounds to me like Rick's plants, while labelled as lazica, might not really
> be that species.  The Guide cites many differences none of which Rick's
> plants show: conclusion might be that Rick's plants are not lazica.

Well, I was all ready to agree but for the picture in the back of the
"Guide".  Plate 90.  This shows a nice closeup of Lazica.  It is close
to identical with mine except for the wiskers at the hafts.  My flower
shows thinner and more lines and the signal has some orange in it.
Maybe climatical variations?

The Guide To Species also states that both species are within ths series
Unguiculares.  However the phenotype, I hope I have this right...meaning
outward appearence, of both are too close for me.  However, if this is
how the scientific community segregatates species so be it, but I think
they are too close.

Another twist is the listing in The Iris Gallery.  They state that the
flowers are pale, sky blue and odorless.  Well the picture in the
"Guide" as well as the plant in my garden has lavender-blue flowers.
Not sure of the odor, but will check with the next blossom.  They also
state that the foilage is shorter.  I guess I will have to order this
plant and see if it differs from mine.

BTW, I acquired my Lazica from Ben Hager who got it from Jean Witt.

Rick Tasco
Superstition Iris Gardens
Central California
Zone 8