Rhizome Rot

We just had a rain storm that washed all the snow away and thawed
the ground. I found a rhizome that has 5 or 6 small plants growing
off it, but the main rhizome is rotting away. If I cut the rotten
part out is there something I can use to treat the raw ends of the
good plants?

I would rather not try potting the small plants as their roots seem
to be well established.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Duane
Duane Buell