  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Nematodes
  • From: ross <ross@dsrt.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 07:17:53 -0700 (MST)

I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back to you all, but the research
materials didn't arrive here until this Wednesday. Seems like University
mail systems are part of the government. Anyway, I have some questions
that I want to get answered before I write something in detail, so
please bear with me.
	In any case, I was pleased to learn that the research determined that
nematodes can be extremely effective against iris borer. One type of
nematode demonstrated an 87% success rate, another type was100%
effective. These rates were equal to or better than the effectiveness of
chemical treatments tested, and nematodes do not carry the side effects
and risks of chemical application, so I find that very encouraging.
Although I haven't got all the details together, using chemicals is
often cheaper than organic methods, so that will be a factor to
I'm going to make a series of inquiries today about my remaining
questions, and would hope that sometime next week or so I could post a
more detailed report for you all. I'm also going to suggest to Mr.
Aitken who edits the AIS Bulletin that he solicit an article on
Nematodes & Iris from either Stanton Gill or Michael Raupp of the
University of Maryland who conducted this research.

Ross in New Mexico
Where my iris fronds have finally succumbed to the snow and freezing