Re: Iris lazica

I was going to keep quiet on this subject as it is not really my field of
expertise (not that I am expert on any subject except maybe drinking beer!)
but I have to agree with Bill Shear (and he isn't paying me to say this!).
I've grown lazica and three or four forms of unguicularis for several years,
including what I would consider to be the type form, as well as Walter Butt,
Mary Barnard and cretensis. All of the plants have come from sources that I
consider relaible (I think my original plant of lazica came from Anne Blanco-
White, who was once president of BIS and has forgotten more about irises than
I will ever know). I would definitely say that lazica is a plant that is quite
distinct from any form of unguicularis I have ever seen or grown. Lazica has
broader leaves that are more glossy and of deeper green - and generally tidier
IMHO. It is far less temperamental than unguicularis, not that the latter is
hard to grow, but it certainly hates excessive disturbance and really needs a
sunny well drained position here. Lazica does not mind being divided annually,
which as a nurseryman keen to propagate plants for sale, is an important
consideration; it is happier growing in containers and will even tolerate
light shade. But the most distinctive difference is that (for me) lazica
flowers several weeks later, usually starting as unguicularis is beginning to
look sad. Unguicularis has the longer bloom season in my experience,  but as
lazica comes that little bit later, it is a bonus, filling the gap between
unguicularis and reticulata.
I would concur that it would seem that Rick has two plants that are the same -
I would venture that they are probably both unguicularis. If there is any
"justice" (and I take Bill's point on that) then it has been done in giving
lazica specific status.

Going back to lurkdom

Graham Spencer
Croftway Nursery
Barnham, West Sussex, England
USDA zone 8 - actually more like 9 lately, but the forecasters promise an icy
blast from Russia zones 5 and 6 soon - brr!! )-: