Re: What is a "landscape" iris?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: What is a "landscape" iris?
  • From: Tom Tadfor Little <telp@rt66.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:10:13 -0700 (MST)

Good observations on "landscape irises", Walter. To me the term implies
plants that are intended to be viewed from a distance, probably planted in
masses, and require less attention from the gardener. Hence a landscape
iris would need to satisfy the following criteria:

* vigor and durability

* color that carries, rather than subtle patterning

* reliable bloom

* tall sturdy stalks

* inexpensive

A landscape iris need not necessarily show characteristics that are
desirable for specimen plants, such as modern form, distinctiveness,
proportion, or well-arranged branching.

So there may be some justification for distributing unnamed irises and
rejected seeldings as landscape irises...provided they really do show these
characteristics of durability and vigor.

To me, the phrase "garden iris" suggests that it is to be used as a
specimen plant, perhaps a single clump that is to be viewed from relatively
close range.  Certainly the AIS garden judging guidelines presume so.

I think too little attention has been given to identifying varieties that
really thrive and perform with low maintenance (as would often be the case
for masses planted on the edges of one's property or in other less than
ideal areas).

Happy irising, Tom.

Tom Tadfor Little                       telp@Rt66.com
Iris-L list owner  *  USDA zone 5/6  *  AIS region 23
Santa Fe, New Mexico (USA)
Telperion Productions      http://www.rt66.com/~telp/
Iris-L Web Site  http://www.rt66.com/~telp/garden.htm