SPEC- I.lazica

reviewed again the descriptions of lazica and unguicularis in the BIS "A
Guide to the Species of Irises".  This volume contains detailed
descriptions of the two and, to a very large extent, the descriptions
are almost identical.  Thus, they are put together in the Series
Unguiculares as the sole members of that series.  The two points that
are easy to use to separate the species appears to be the two I quoted
before.

Leaves

lazica

flat, wider (0.85-1.3cm), more of less unribbed leaves

unguicularis

linear (0.1-1cm) to sword-like, strongly ribbed or fluted with distinct
margins

Flower

lazica

falls, 2-3cm wide

ungicularis

falls, 0.9-1.8cm wide

As the fall width does not overlap, it should be a good way to separate
the species.

The monograph also mentions that there is a detailed review of this
matter in the Botanic Journal of the Linnean Society in 1990.

As to the suitability for a wetter site, lazica's habitat is described
as "Wet, stony places; shady damp banks and open woodland (hazel
groves).  Sea level to  approximately 2000m.

I hope this helps.

Ian, in Ottawa where we have a few inches of snow and about -7C, rather
pleasant weather where one does not require a coat if out for only a
short time.