Re: What is a "landscape" iris?

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: What is a "landscape" iris?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:41:25 -0700 (MST)

Virginia Lassiter asked:
> Winterberry Gardens [owner Spoons] mentioned breeding for
> "LANDSCAPE" irises. How are they different from other intros?
> Pros/cons of flower? vigor? height? color?

I don't know what they mean by "landscape" irises, but I would expect
(hope?) they would be irises less prone to rot in eastern climates (more
tolerant of damp and shading from other perennials in mixed borders),
requiring less maintenance (continue to bloom for more years without
rotting or getting overly crowded - therefore slower growing), more
likely to open fewer blooms at once than show stalks (to prolong bloom),
and possibly ever/repeat bloom/multiple stalks.  In general, a lot more
carefree in our climate than most modern intros.  But I am just making
my own wish list, not what the Spoons might actually mean.

There have been some critical remarks on the list previously about
"landscape" irises from the big growers going to discount stores being
culls from their breeding programs.  I am guessing that's not what the
Spoons mean or they wouldn't say they are 'breeding for' that purpose.
But maybe somebody on the list knows the Spoons and will call and ask
them?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
heading into our pre-Christmas "warm up and fool all the irises and
daffodils" weather.  I enjoy the weather reports from other listers.
Gives greater appreciation for the tolerance of tall bearded irises for
all kinds of climates (some of which they like more than others)