Re: SPEC: CAT I.unguicularis

william b. cook wrote:

> > Hi folks; I can't remember if this question has been raised before
> > but can this iris be grown in zones 4 &/or 5 outside without being
> > taken inside for the winter?
> >
> >  Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
> >  Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
>
> Diana,
>      Iris unguicularis cannot be grown outdoors in your climate.  I do not
> know the northern limit for certain, but I would be either USDA Zone 8a or
> Zone 7.  In your climate, it would make a good potted plant.  It blooms
> during the winter.
>
> Mark A. Cook            Low:    48 F  ( 9 C)
> billc@atlantic.net      High:   55 F   (13 C)
> Dunnellon, FL.          Now:    54 F  (12 C)    3.73 inches of rain.  Still raining.
Diana,
I have I.unguicularis outside on the southside of my plant room. This is
the second winter for it to be in the ground. I also have one potted in
the plant room just in case the outside one didn't make it when I moved
to Nebraska from New Mexico. The out side plant came through last winter
in great shape! It is still green as I write this. (The inside plant is
blooming) I am in zone 5 here in Omaha, according to local nurseries.
Leslie