Re: CULT: "Landscape" irises? - Gas Stations et al.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: CULT: "Landscape" irises? - Gas Stations et al.
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@digitalpla.net>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 19:02:07 -0700 (MST)

Anner writes (in part):

>  I also understand "landscaping" to refer to plantings designed to
> beautify municipal or non-residential areas, such as gas stations, office
> parks, and the like which are shared spaces maintained largely by
> professionals who fill them with "plant materials" designed to be largely
> self-sufficent and able to withstand neglect while providing multi-season
> interest.

Around here there are a number of gas station "landscapes" filled with well
grown plants. Most of them include iris, the bearded forms being preferred,
including TBs, medians, and "Zebra". In professionally landscaped spaces
Siberians seem to be preferred. These latter seldom bloom. I imagine both
effects, i.e. the gas station preference for bearded iris and the failure
of the Siberians to bloom, stem from the same cause - the ability to thrive
with restricted water or the lack thereof.

cwalters@digitalpla.net
Where the SIGNA Seed Exchange list arrived in today's mail.