OT: Humor--Thornbird the Space-Age Iris

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT: Humor--Thornbird the Space-Age Iris
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 18:26:02 -0700 (MST)

At our December potluck dinner we in the executive board
of SFVIS made fools of ourselves by singing rewritten Xmas
songs. One of the favorites is below, with words by
Jeanne Clay Plank, AIS Secretary (reproduced with permission)

 (Sung to "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer")
 THORNBIRD, the Space-age iris
 Had a spooned and purpley beard,
 A strange but distinctive color,
 Frequently described as weird.
 Traditional Irisarians
 Liked to laugh and call it names.
 They made a face when THORNBIRD
 Was entered in our Iris "games."
 Then in 1996
 The Wister THORNBIRD won,
 And folks who'd scorned the space-age form
 Found that its time had come.
 The Dykes Medal went to THORNBIRD
 And space-age lovers sang with glee,
 THORNBIRD, the space-age iris
 Will live in Iris history.

gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society