Re: SPEC; HYB.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC; HYB.
  • From: Kathy Haggstrom <hagg@Alaska.NET>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 13:18:14 -0700 (MST)

Dear Ellen,
We have been having very undecided weather this winter. They say it is
El Nino - I say it is unpredictable. Yesterday we had snowy rain, today
it is 5F. Let winter come.
The reason I'm directing this to you via Iris-L is because the question
I ask you can, I know, be answered by many knowledgeable sources there,
& I look forward to the diversity of input I find here. When I first
joined on, I thought this forum would be of limited use for me, but I
have rethought that & decided differently. I have already begun
revamping several aspects of my "infant" breeding program based on what
I have read here. I enjoy this forum very much, especially now that I'm
getting my Internet legs.
Have you tried breeding lines of I. setosa? You stated only that you
grow them, so am not sure. The question I have is whether breeding
within one species, no matter that it seems quite variable, is a more
manageable program (& more achievable) than hybridizing complex plants
such as TB's. Griff Crump suggested such, but encouraged me to ask a
broader audience. I had gotten it into my head that wild species were
brimming with conflicting & elusive characteristics, very difficult to
tame & pin down. Now I'm wondering if I don't have it easy.
Also just read here that I. hookeri is now separate from I. setosa. It
seemed that there were just enough differences in the two to warrant
that (speaking as an amateur).
Hope your weather is being a little more reasonable than ours. We sit in
an ice fog soup, unable to fly at the moment.
Look forward to hearing from you,
Kathy Haggstrom
Anchorage, Ak
Zone 3