SPEC Setosa reply

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: SPEC Setosa reply
  • From: ECPep <ECPep@aol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 21:49:33 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 97-12-13 23:12:50 EST, Kathy H. writes;

<< Have you tried breeding lines of I. setosa? You stated only that you
 grow them, so am not sure. The question I have is whether breeding
 within one species, no matter that it seems quite variable, is a more
 manageable program (& more achievable) than hybridizing complex plants
 such as TB's. Griff Crump suggested such, but encouraged me to ask a
 broader audience. I had gotten it into my head that wild species were
 brimming with conflicting & elusive characteristics, very difficult to
 tame & pin down. Now I'm wondering if I don't have it easy.
 Also just read here that I. hookeri is now separate from I. setosa. It
 seemed that there were just enough differences in the two to warrant
 that (speaking as an amateur). >>

Kathy,

There  must be someone around New England or some other cold spot that has
worked with setosa and can have a meaningful exchange with you.

Sometime this month the SIGNA seed list comes out and there are always various
forms of setosa on that list.  The donor of the seed is listed as well so you
could corespond with that donor.  I raised some setosa from SIGNA seed and got
a double flower on one stalk.  My plants here in zone 4 are very vigorous.

SIGNA is the species iris group section of the American Iris Society.  You
must join the AIS first, then for, I think, four dollars you join SIGNA.  The
SIGNA newsletters are uniformly good for species fanciers.  I would think you
would benefit from this connection.  There may be some setosa articles in the
past, I would write to the secretary.  All of this information is available on
the AIS web page.

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY
zone 4 - Berkshire area