Re: landscaping

Linda responded to my post thus:

<<  What a delightful essay!  I have both gardens AND landscapes that fall
 into the above category, in which the ambiance is apparent to me and, to
 my total delight, an occasional visitor.
 Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
 aka Pigpen
 with one 3 acre bottomland 'landscape' that some years is a solid mass
 of color in late summer/early fall - Indian grass, red and blue lobelia,
 goldenrods, marsh sunflowers, virgin's bower, wild ageratum and a bunch
 of other stuff I can't think of right now. >>

Sounds LOVELY, Linda! I really envy you that bottomland! I have a prissy
little garden about 30x50 feet dominated by a fifty foot magnolia and its
roots and populated by overcrowded shallow-rooted plants straining for the
sun. Some folks see the point of it, some, of course, do not. And who cares?
Out there in my little plot I, accompanied by my court of slugs and urban
'possums, am queen, and it is a wonderful place to me, albeit I crave an
arboretum. I've got some fine native plants also, including white turtleheads
and bi-colored birdfoot violets and some very wonderful ferns. Oh, yes, and
some fine native species irises.

Thanks for the kind words about the essay-ette, Linda. That's French for "to
try.....a little".

Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA, USDA Zone 7
Henry Hall  henryanner@aol.com