Re: SPEC; SIGNA (was Setosa reply)

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: SPEC; SIGNA (was Setosa reply)
  • From: Diana Louis <glouis@rogerswave.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:43:03 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, ECPep wrote:

> << >SIGNA is the species iris group section of the American Iris Society.  You
>  >must join the AIS first, then for, I think, four dollars you join SIGNA.
> The
>  >SIGNA newsletters are uniformly good for species fanciers.
>  Claire, how often do the newsletters come out? I joined SIGNA early this
>  year and have never received one. I did receive a small card welcoming me
>  to the group, but nothing else so far.  Celia,
>
> There is a spring and a fall edition of the newletter.  It is printed on ring
> binder stock so you can keep it in a three ring binder.  I think I received
> the fall issue about a month ago, I'm guessing there.  It seems to come out
> late spring and late fall and is about 40 pages.
>
> The seed list comes in December (the best part of this membership).  I myself,
> heard from Rick Tasco that he is ordering his seeds this week and I do not
> have the list so I will be writing a note, too.  You order by the packet at 50
> cents per.
>
> Celia, living up here in the north, north seeds are winter fun for frustrated
> gardeners.  We all have lights and benches and high hopes!
> Claire Peplowski
Kathy Haggstrom,
The Fall edition of the SIGNA Journal had an article about I
hookeri which you should find interesting. I would join up and see
if they will send you this one.
I agree with Claire that seeds are winter fun for us northerners.
You might see if you can get some I versicolor seeds and I
missouriensis ones. These are both very cold tolerant and might
serve as hybrid parents with your I setosa. I vers. is a hybrid of
I setosa and I virgeinica var schrevei anyway. I suspect the
original I setosa was I hookeri. If anyone has more information
about this it would be great to hear from you.

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page
http://molly.hsc.unt.edu/~rbarton/Iris/NANI.html