OT:CLUBS, Society Potluck

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: OT:CLUBS, Society Potluck
  • From: "Steven & Sharlyn Rocha" <srocha@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 07:57:37 -0700 (MST)

Dear Friends on the List,
	I would like to encourage all of the iris societies out there to hold an
annual holiday potluck.  We had ours yesterday for SanDiego and Imperial
Counties, and it was a really enjoyable experience.  The foods at Christmas
time are so extra special and the ladies in our group really go all out.
Each brought not only a main dish but also an outrageous dessert.  There
were counters of fudge, cheesecake, rocky road, pumpkin cake, cocola cake,
pineapple pie and candy.  Main dishes were as varied as fancy cold salads
to shrimp platters to the basics of ham and hot vegetable medleys. After
all it's Christmas is the general line of thinking.  We ate and ate.
	Then came the real fun.  Claire Barr brought a book of Christmas carols
that Jeanne Plank creatively put together.  Pat Brendel and I, both choir
members, had the honors of singing each carol as our willing audience
laughed and clapped for each.  A couple times the two of us were rolling in
tears laughing since we were singing the songs cold turkey and not knowing
the lyrics, if you know these songs, we busted up trying to be serious and
stay on key.  I had run off "Thornbird the Spaceage Iris" since Gerry
Snyder was nice enough to put it on the web for us so we all sang along and
did pretty well as a group on that one.  They enjoyed it to no end.
	The group then proceeded to guess the Christmas carols for the Name that
Carol game that Walter so cleverly provided for our holiday entertainment.
They really got into that too and everyone wanted to be the one to guess it
first.  Walt Brendel came in first guessing seven.
	The day ended with a walk in Dorothy Frisbie's beautiful gardens and it
was a lovely day in the low 70's. She even had a few iris getting ready to
rebloom. She specializes in native plants.  I borrowed one of her sweet,
ripe tangerines.  Wow, was it good!  We really do have it made here in
southern California.
	To the point, everyone should experience one of these do's. Thanks again
to those who share fun holiday songs, games and ideas.
				Sincerely,
				Sharlyn

Steven & Sharlyn Rocha
srocha@pacbell.net