Re: landscape irises

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: landscape irises
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 11:35:17 -0700 (MST)

	It seems to me that we already have a 'race' of irises that fit
the definition of 'landscape irises' provided by the Spoons.  I am talking
about the Intermediate Bearded. For me, they are essentially carefree, not
too tall, increase rapidly, produce masses of well-formed  blooms,
need no staking, and are essentially disease-free (including rot).  The
only negative side to the IB's is that they don't freely cross with each
other, though some have great fertility - the latter having nothing to do
with their value as 'landscape' subjects.  Break the monotony of your all
TB garden or all beardless garden with a few of these.  You will be well
rewarded.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS 7/8 (Where we basked in brilliant sunshine yesterday
while Middle Mississippi got up to 12 inches of snow in the Jackson,
Vicksburg, Meridian areas - thanks to El Nino or as someone said 'La
Nina!'  The last time such a snowfall occurred there was in 1982, the last
El Nino year).